|Mr A with his kitchen spoon at the ready.|
I have to say it doesn't take much to get Mr A eager to be in the kitchen and I think this is the great thing about kids is that simply love to be involved and have the chance to cook something yummy and delicious. I also personally find that when Mr A has assisted me with supper he is often more likely to eat it and try new things. He generally loves Pasta but is a little unsure when it comes to things like lasagne, a dish I have always made on my own until now.
We were sent a bunch of new Herbs and More flavour Pots from OXO and we couldn't wait to try them out, mainly because things like Soya mince and Quorn can often be missing that little something and I wanted to see if these flavour pots really did have any impact on our homemade dishes.
For the veggie Lasagne we opted to use the vegetarian friendly Rosemary and Red Wine flavour Pot which we let simmer away with the Quorn mince and chopped tomatoes while we prepared the rest of the veggies before layering everything in an oven proof dish and placing in the oven. This always seems to take the longest as Mr A cannot wait to see the results and always expects things to take 5 minutes to cook which of course they don't.
The lasagne went down well with everyone, even meat eater John and we both agreed that the flavour pot really did add a depth to the dish that had been missing before and both John and I felt it was the most successful lasagne I had made simply due to the added flavour, so thumbs up on the flavour pot front.
Here is how we did it if you would like to have a go
300g Quorn mince
1 tspb Olive Oil
1 onion peeled and diced
5 closed cup mushrooms diced
50g tomato puree
400g chopped tomatoes
1 Rosemary & Red wine Herbs and More pot
350g white sauce
70 mature cheddar
1. Preheat the oven to 180c
2. Peel, dice and lightly fry the onion in the olive oil in a non-stick pan
3. Add the mince to brown while slowly adding the water and tomato puree
4. Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, stir well and let simmer for 15-20 min
5. Peel open the Herbs and More pot and carefully pop into the mixture, stirring until it disappears.
6. Place half the mince mix into the base of an oven proof dish
7. Spoon half the white sauce mix on top of the mince
8. Place a layer of lasagne sheets over the top
9. Repeat this process again but placing the rest of the mince mix over the sheets and than the white sauce on top of that before covering it with lasagne sheets.
10. On top speed whatever remaining white sauce you have plus sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese
11. Place in the oven for 35-40 mins, until golden on top
Thanks for Britmums and OXO asking for us to join in with this fun campaign, we really enjoyed it.