I love yogurt, always have and I love how versatile it is, you can bake with it, cook savoury dishes, spoon it over fruit and oats or have a bowl of greek yogurt with a dollop of honey for dessert and for those who don't know it's Yogurt Week, so I thought I would celebrate with creating two lovely breakfast treats.
My first port of call when it comes to a lazy sunday morning brunch is pancakes and pancakes crammed with yogurt goodness is even better and alongside some scrambled eggs and a dash of maple syrup it screams weekend to me.
Easy Yogurt Pancakes
140g Greek Yogurt
1 large egg
1/2 a cup of Plain flour (I often do a 50/50 wholegrain and plain)
1 tsp baking powder
Optional - 1/2 cup of blueberries
1. Mix the yogurt and egg in a bowl until smooth then add the flour
and baking powder until all mixed in. The batter will be thick
2. Preheat a frying pan to a medium heat, spay with non--stick spray or add a little bit
of oil. Spoon the batter into the pan, each in fairly even circles
3. If you want at this point you can add some blueberries to each scoop
4. Cook for about 2 minutes or until golden brown, than flip and cook the other side until done.
Peanut and Banana mini Muffins
Another little something I put together really is more of a treat than a breakfast alternative but it does offer some nutritious goodness from the banana, peanut butter and yogurt. It went down very well with the little man who kept asking for more.
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tsp sugar (or alternative of choice, I like Argave)
2 x eggs
120g natural set yogurt
100g mashed banana
50g crunchy peanut butter
25 chopped dark chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 180c/Gas Mark 4
2. Line muffin tin
3. Shift together the flour, baking powder and sugar and set aside
4. In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, yogurt, peanut butter and banana and chocolate
5. Fold in the wet ingredients with the dry, be careful not to over mix
6. Spoon into the cases and bake for 25-30 min, until risen
7. Cool on rack and best eaten on the day
Do you have any favourite breakfast treats of yogurt inspired recipes?
The Yogurt Council was kind enough to send us everything we needed to make our delicious recipes.