As I've said before I find cooking and making wholesome family meals very therapeutic and I love to try new things. In general our meals have a healthy focus and I have never been a big fan of shop bought pasties and pies but I did like the idea of making my own and cramming them filled with lovely veggies and creating a portable snack when we are outdoors on our adventures.
So when I was set a challenge to create something tasty and would hopefully be a hit with the family, using in season Cypriot New Potatoes from Tesco's, I thought it was the perfect time to try out some cheesy leek and potato pasties - the perfect vegetarian family friendly snack. Of course you can use any potatoes in this recipe but I have to say the Cypriot ones are very tasty and versatile as you can bake, roast, boil or steam them and they are only available in stores until March. I also used Tesco's lighter shortcrust pastry, I have in the past made my own pastry for a variety of different dishes but with this recipe I wanted to focus on making it as quick, easy and family friendly as possible.
Ingredients - makes 12 small pasties
300g cubed Cypriot Potatoes
2 small leeks or 1 large leek, outer leaves removed, finely sliced
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp dried thyme
150g either smoked or cheddar cheese, grated
2 medium organic eggs
2 Tesco's lighter ready rolled shortcrust pastry
Small side plate or large round cookie cutter
1. Placed the cubed potatoes in boiling salted water for around 5 minutes until tender but still holding their shape. While the potatoes are boiling slice the leeks and place in a saucepan, add the olive oil and gently fry for around 5-6 mins until nice and soft.
2. Drain the potatoes and place in a big bowl, then add the leeks and dried thyme as well as the grated cheese and mix together.
3. Crack one of the eggs, briefly whisk and add to the potato and leek mixture.
4. Heat the oven to 180c or gas 4. Roll out the pastry and use either a small side plate or large circular cookie cutter as a template for the pasties. You should get around 6 small pasties from one ready rolled pastry. Crack the other egg in a small bowl - this will be used for brushing the pasties
5. Place about 2 heaped spoons of the potato and leek mixture on each pastie circle. Brush around the edges with a little egg and then bring the edges together and crimp wth your fingers to seal.
6. Place the pasties on a baking tray lined with parchment and brush with remaining egg. Bake for around 25mins until golden.
This recipe is a great way to get your little ones contributing to their 5 a day. Did you know potatoes are fill of good vitamins & minerals such as Vit C&D, folate, iron and magnesium and Leeks are an excellent source of Vit K, B6, copper and manganese.