As some of you may already know we are currently working on our home in preparation to put it on the market, we are aiming for early this summer but with a newborn and a 4yr old that is easier said than done.
For Mr A this will be his forth move and hopefully the last for a while (well I say that now but we do love a project). We have learnt a fair amount about renovating and moving with young children in tow and how to get a house ready for market and those all important Estate agent photos.
Here are our top tips for getting your house ready to sell
1. Dress up your home - don't leave anything unturned, your house should be in the best condition possible, especially when people are coming to view it. No one wants to see laundry on the floor or dishes in the sink, you need to sell a lifestyle and that lifestyle needs to be desirable so make sure each room is clean, tidy and ready for viewing.
|A clean and tidy nursery|
2. Space is key so use this time to detox your home and get rid of anything you do not need including furniture and try and create a light and airy feel within your home.
3. Don't be too personal, everyone loves their children but in Estate agents photos and on open days make sure you pack away toys and keep children art on the fridge to a minimum.
4. Be organised and make sure you use any storage space efficiently. Clean lines and simplicity goes a long way when selling a house.
5. Finishing touches - buy some fresh flowers for the kitchen when people come to view, you could also light some rented candles before a viewing (make sure they are out before you leave) - nothing over powering but something subtle and sweet.
6. As I motion din number one make sure your house is as clean and tidy as possible, it may be worth getting a commercial cleaning company in to make sure everything is spick and span
At the end of the day you want to get the best price for your home and hopefully make a little bit of a profit as well so do some research and see what is being sold in your area and for how much, look at the images online and how those homes are being presented.
There are also lots of options when it comes to listing these days with alternative options to that of the high street Estate agents such as My Online Estate Agent who offer set rate packages as oppose to commission based agents and they offer a fully professional service including a visit to your home, floor plan and photography and it's something we will consider when we come to sell later this year.
We cannot wait to all the ups and downs of our next home move, hopefully everything will go fairly smoothly, well we can dream anyway
This is a collaborative post