We knew buying our current property that we were taking on a bit of a project. It was in better condition than our last (a total renovation) as some of the rooms had been "finished" but as we delved deeper and had a better look we came across some very interesting takes on DIY.
Our first stop was removing all the bad Artex on the bedroom ceilings - who ever thought Artex was a good idea I don't know. Unfortunately the floorboards upstairs simply could not be stripped so we opted for re-carpting throughout which was already a huge improvement on the tired and stained carpet which was there when we moved in. What we noticed along the way though was not only had all the doors only had one thing coat of undercoat but where all also on the wrong way!
In the living room we have two Alcoves, when we moved in they had awful wooden boarders that didn't fit properly and one of the alcoves had shelving which we used for books for the first few months before getting around to replacing them, we discovered that this whole time the shelves had been kept up with one nail each and "no more nails" plus the shelves had been made out of all different sizes of scrap wood. The whole no more nails theme has run through in different areas of the house. The Gas and Electric meter has also been covered up with total DIY wooden boxes - again with different kind of wood and very badly done.
The hallway ceiling had also only had a patchy undercoat as did the stairwell - no of which made any difference as we have painted throughout and the one thing about all these little Home Truths is that we have now rectified them and seeing the house come together is really fulfilling.
|Our lounge as it looks now - a real improvement than when we bought the property|
An associated post